Target: Your State Legislators
Have you or someone you know lost their job and health insurance
or experienced financial hardship due to healthcare costs?
- The current private for-profit healthcare system was already in crisis before COVID-19. More than 522,000 Washington State residents had no healthcare coverage before the pandemic. Now 500,000 more have lost their employer-provided health insurance along with their jobs, which means over 1 million people in Washington State have no healthcare coverage at this time.
- For the 50% of Washingtonians who were on employer-sponsored plans before the pandemic, premium rates are predicted to increase by as much as 40+% due to the effects of the pandemic, according to a March 2020 analysis by Covered California.
Join Whole Washington’s COVID 19 Urgent Response Effort (CURE).
This letter is directed to your three state legislators (two representatives and the senator from your legislative district) and asks them for their help in addressing the current healthcare crisis, which has been exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic. The letter describes the pre-existing gaps/failures in the existing healthcare system and how they’ve been exacerbated by COVID-19, including:
- The fallacy of healthcare coverage tied to employment;
- Unaffordable premiums, deductibles, and co-pays;
- The industry pattern of claim payment denial; and
- A fragmented system that artificially inflates costs.
The letter then asks your legislators to:
- Ask Governor Inslee to convene, or vote within their chamber for a special legislative session to address this exacerbated healthcare crisis; and
- Enact legislation to immediately prohibit deductibles or co-pays for the duration of this public health emergency, as well as enacting an amended version of SB 5222 with a more urgent timeline, in order to relieve the existing crisis and to prevent further lasting residual harm from this crisis.
Use this form to find and auto-fill your legislators and send this important letter today: