UPDATED November, 2020
Whole Washington is committed to passing Universal Healthcare, and we support all efforts to achieve a single payer system. We’re fighting at the local, state, and national level, but on this page we’ll focus on the state-based campaign. We’re pushing for the Whole Washington Health Trust using both the ballot initiative process and the Washington State legislature simultaneously. Let’s take a look at the initiative process first.
Initiative Effort (also known as a Ballot Measure)
In Washington State, we’re fortunate to have the Initiative process. When our elected officials fail to pass needed legislation, we the people have the power to pass our own laws.
There are two types of initiatives: 1) to the Legislature and 2) to the People. Filing to the Legislature provides more time to collect signatures. The ‘to the People’ deadline is July, while the ‘to the Legislature’ deadline is December. We’ll file the initiative to the Legislature, but that could change if we’re on pace to meet the July deadline, which would most likely require paid signature gatherers.
- When we file: mid-March 2021
- When we start collecting signatures: April 2021
- Number of valid signatures needed: approx. 260,000. This number may change in 2021. We’ll need to turn in close to 300,000 to account for invalid signatures.
- Deadline to turn in signatures: December 30, 2021
If we turn in the required number of verified signatures by the deadline, the legislature can do one of three things. They can:
- Pass it As Is in early 2022 OR
- Edit it and put a competing measure on the ballot for a vote in November 2022 (Both versions must be on the ballot) OR
- Put the initiative on the ballot As Is for a vote in November 2022. This is what usually happens.
For more info see the Secretary of State’s page on Initiatives and Referenda
What Does Signature Collection Look Like During a Pandemic?
We confess we can’t predict what our world will look like in April of next year when we start collecting signatures. If we base our plans on current conditions, we won’t have big public events to get the high numbers of signatures that we normally could. Instead…
- We’ll do a lot of mailing, keeping in mind that postage and printing petitions is very pricey.
- All volunteers that set up tables or canvas will need protection, like masks, sanitizer, etc.
- Our plan is to have more volunteers that will need to collect fewer signatures. We’ll spread out this labor of love and get it done safely.
We’re lobbying elected Washington State officials to introduce and sponsor the Whole Washington Health Trust Bill in the next legislative session that starts January 2021.
- We need more state Senators and Representatives to co-sponsor. If either your state Senator or state Rep is interested, please have them fill out the form below.
- Whole Washington Endorsement Form
- We will be covering the specifics of the bill with potential sponsors on December 4th. If your elected official is interested in joining, please contact Blaine@WholeWashington.org
- Once the bill has been introduced in both houses, we will solicit your calls and emails in support of getting them out of committee and onto the floor for a vote!
- Note: We do not actively support legislation that continues to subsidize the current for-profit insurance model.