Our Healthcare System is Racist
- African Americans have 2.3 times the infant mortality rate as non-Hispanic whites. Two point three times. Outrageous.
- Life expectancy by race shows an average of 4 – 11 more years for Whites, Asian Americans, and Hispanic Americans over Blacks and Native Americans.
- Even current technology reflects under-diagnosis and our unfair practices. See A Healthcare Algorithm Offered Less Care to Black Patients.
What can we do to right these wrongs? We must acknowledge the abhorrent discrepancy, listen, learn, and work to fix it. How? First, we can dig into recent history. Whole Washington is offering ways to see and show Power to Heal, a movie which tells the riveting story of Medicare and the Civil Rights Revolution. (Longer description from the website below.)
“POWER TO HEAL is an hour-long public television documentary that tells a poignant chapter in the historic struggle to secure equal and adequate access to healthcare for all Americans. Central to the story is the tale of how a new national program, Medicare, was used to mount a dramatic, coordinated effort that desegregated thousands of hospitals across the country in a matter of months.
Before Medicare, disparities in access to hospital care were dramatic. Less than half the nation’s hospitals served black and white patients equally, and in the South, 1/3 of hospitals would not admit African-Americans even for emergencies.
Using the carrot of Medicare dollars, the federal government virtually ended the practice of racially segregating patients, doctors, medical staffs, blood supplies and linens. POWER TO HEAL illustrates how Movement leaders and grass-roots volunteers pressed and worked with the federal government to achieve justice and fairness for African-Americans.”
So here’s what we’re asking: Can you host a movie showing in your area between now and March? We’ll provide you with a script and all the supplies you need to make the showing a success.
- If you want to attend a showing, click the link below to see events in your area. Don’t see any showings on the map yet? Check back often as volunteers like yourself will be posting them in the next few weeks.
- If you want to host, click on the link, then the button in the lower right – Click to Host.